The four key stages illustrate the alternative phased development potential for Thames Reach Airport:
- 2020 – Metrotidal tunnel and flood storage to offer Dartford Crossing relieve and flood protection
- 2024 – First runway for early new aviation capacity with limited environmental impacts
- 2028 – Second runway for large international airport operations
- 2032 – Third runway for premier hub operation
- beyond – Fourth and more runways – see extended proposals
Extended proposals (4th runway)
The 3 wide-spaced aerodrome layout can be extended to the South with a 4th wide-spaced independent runway and a 3rd CTA above a rail terminal.
Alternative extended proposals (4th and 5th runway)
The 3 wide-spaced aerodrome layout can be extended to the West with a further wide-spaced runway pair to offer 5 runways and 3 CTA facing the rail terminals. For reduced impact on the Hoo the 3rd runway (South) can be installed last, with the airport initially operating with 4 runways almost entirely located on reclaimed land in the Thames.
Reference proposals (two narrow-spaced runway pairs)
Typical 4 runway arrangement with 2 narrow-spaced runway pairs and wider in-field for reference.